Match Projections for Week 24 of the English Premier League

Below are the match projections for Week 24* of the English Premier League, calculated in much the same manner as the other match projections which appear in these electronic pages.

*Which matchday begins on Saturday.

The methodology utilized to produce these figures is presented here. In brief, however, what the author has done is to utilize a hot expected goals formula in combination with a sexy Poisson distribution to calculate the probability of every possible scoring outcome between the clubs playing this weekend. The % symbol in the table represents the likelihood of the three relevant outcomes in each match.

So, for example, in this week’s Manchester City-Chelsea match (on Monday), there appears to be about a 60% chance of a City victory, a 17% chance of victory for Chelsea, and another 23% chance of a draw.

Here’s the complete table of this week’s match projections:

EPL Matches for 24

At the recent and very polite request of reader Mark, below is a second, similar table — very much the same, really, insofar as it contains within it the projected results of this weekend’s EPL matches, but also slightly different insofar as it also features the most probable score of each match, as provided by the sexy Poisson distribution utilized by the author.

Note that the odds of a match producing any one, specific final score are actually rather low. The probability of Monday’s Man City-Chelsea match finishing at 1-0, for example, is only 13.0% — and, yet, this is the most likely single outcome of the many potential ones.

Here’s that second table, then, featuring projected results and most probable outcomes:

EPL Matches for 24 Big

Data from Who Scored.

5 thoughts on “Match Projections for Week 24 of the English Premier League

  1. As a means of distracting myself from the writing of my Ph. D. thesis, I am investigating how well the sexy Poisson distribution predicts the final score, via the most probable outcome. For the midweek games had one put $2 on each game, rather than the hypothetical $2, which is how much I placed on each game, one could have net $20. Of note the sexy Poisson distribution nailed the Swansea vs. Fulham game (2 – 0), which “the bookies” thought would end 1-1.

    • I’m curious, but also a dummy. Is there an example of a liquid crystal with which a half-intelligent person might be acquainted?

      • As for specific molecules derivatives for cholesterol, the non-PED type of steroid, which form helical structures not unlike those found in the bright colouration of scarab beetles. For a more typical example of liquid crystal properties the lipid bilayer of the human cell or of a soap bubble are given as classic examples. My research tends to focus more on electrical responses to some liquid crystalline phases.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s